Van Halen “Find the Brown M&M” Game!
Here are the rules:
- 1) Order a scoop (or more) of Little Baby’s “Plain” Flavor Ice Cream at either our World Headquarters (2311 Frankford Ave) or Cedar Park Embassy (4903 Catharine St).
- Enjoy it on the premises.
- If there is a brown M&M in it, prove it to the staff at the counter (in a sanitary manner) and win a prize!
- Prizes include Van Halen LPs, T-Shirts, Memorabilia as well as Gift Certificates to area record stores.
- No cheating and buying a pack of M&Ms and putting one of them in your scoop. That’s lame.
Prizes generously donated by:
- Repo Records 538 South St Philadelphia, PA 19147
- Record Lady 2557 Amber St Philadelphia, PA 19125
- Beautiful World Syndicate 1619 E Passyunk Ave Philadelphia, PA 19148
- More TBA!
Read below for the story behind the legend!
Those unfamiliar with the fabled connection behind Van Halen and brown M&Ms will wonder exactly what we’re doing with this one, but stick with me…
Way back in 1982, Van Halen was a sick band. They toured a lot, like bands do. In advance of showing up to places, they would send to a venue a list of the things that they wanted and needed to play the show in their contract, including requests for sound equipment, lighting equipment, and hospitality. It is these demands for hospitality that are the stuff of rock and roll legend. One particularly wide-spread example is Van Halen’s “Absolutely No Brown M&Ms in the bowl of M&Ms backstage” request.
As noted on websites like Snopes and even on NPR, the nature of this request is widely misunderstood as unduly burdensome and onerous on concert promoters and their staff at the behest of privileged musicians with outlandish and extravagant tastes. However, yet again, we see that people are only too willing to believe the legend and ignore the facts.
Make Van Halen Mad. Can you find the Brown M&M?!?!